If you’ve seen the Fluval Edge 6 then you know that it’s an incredibly stylish tank. In fact, I’d say it’s the best looking tank on the market for its size. But just because it looks good, doesn’t mean it’s going to perform well. After all, you should never judge a book by its cover. This Fluval Edge 6 Gallon Review is going to give you the information you need to decide whether you should buy one for your betta, or choose something else!
Fluval Edge 6 Gallon Review (Is It A Tank For Bettas?)
When you see the Fluval Edge 6 Gallon you’re going to be blown away by how great it looks. The way it’s designed lets you have a 360 view of your fish and everything in the tank. However, you may be wondering if it’s a suitable tank for bettas! In this review you’re going to find out if it’s good or not, as well as some of it’s best features.
What Comes With The Fluval Edge 6 Gallon Aquarium Kit?
You’re not just going to be getting an aquarium with this kit, you’re also going to be getting a lot of the equipment you need to get started as well. Such as:
- 6 Gallon Sealed Glass Aquarium
- Filtration System With Cycle Guard
- Nutrafin Cycle (Biological Filter Supplement)
- Nutrafin Aquaplus (Water Conditioner)
- LED Lighting System (Day And Night Mode)
As you can see your tank is going to come with almost everything you need to get started. The only necessity missing is a heater, but you’ll also want to get substrate and decorations as well.
The main selling point of this aquarium is the tank itself. It’s unlike any tank on the market in the way that it looks. The moment you have it in your home you’re going to be fascinated with your betta and everything that’s going on in your tank!
Although it’s supposed to be filled to the brim, with a betta you’re going to want to make sure you leave a little space for air. Or if you did want to completely fill it, then you’ll need to check to make sure your betta knows where the opening in the top is. Bettas have a labyrinth organ which means they need to breathe air from the surface of the tank.
The tank is literally going to be one of the biggest conversation pieces in your house. The glass is crystal clear, and the 360 view is going to allow you to see every angle of your tank in a way you didn’t think possible before!
Another reason this is a great tank is that it doesn’t take up a lot of space. Unlike its 12 gallon counterpart, the Fluval Edge 6 Gallon will be able to fit nicely anywhere in your home!
The only downside of this tank is that it can be quite difficult to maintain. The opening that your light goes into isn’t very large, so you’re going to need to use a gravel vacuum and magnetic glass cleaner to make sure you scrub your tank properly. So if you wanted to have a planted tank it’s going to require a little more effort on your part to keep everything looking nice.
The Filtration System
Normally when a filtration system comes with a tank it’s not the best. But that’s definitely not the case this time.
The filter comes with the standard biological, mechanical and chemical media. (One for bacteria, one for debris, and one for chemicals.) But you’re also going to get a bottle of Nutrafin Cycle. Nutrafin cycle is going to kickstart good bacteria growth in your biological media, helping your tank be disease and illness free!
One thing I love about this filtration system is how hard it is to spot. It is completely hidden so you don’t have to worry about it imposing on your tank.
When you first turn the filter on, it’s not uncommon for it to be loud and noisy. However, this only happens for the first few days. And when it becomes quiet, it’s so quiet you’ll be wondering if it’s even on! So if you’re not sure whether you should put this tank in your room, then the good news it won’t be noisy!
Another feature I really liked about this filter is the extra space it has inside. Not only do you have enough space for the standard 3 media, but you can also add other custom media like water polishing pads!
One of the most important considerations to think about when it comes to filters is how strong the current is going to be. Betta’s don’t like strong currents and if they’re weak swimmers, they’ll have a hard time swimming in them altogether. But, luckily this filter has a range of power settings you can choose from. And your betta is going to be super happy with them!
And lastly, it’s a nice, simple filter to clean and maintain. There’s enough space to get your hands in without struggling and you can remove all the media easily.
The lighting is the last part to take into consideration and to be honest, it’s probably the weakest part of the whole tank. However, don’t be decieved, it’s still a fantastic bit of equipment.
The lights come in 3 modes: daytime, nighttime and off. The daytime lights are white whereas the nighttime lights are a deep blue. There are 21 lights on the 6 gallon version whereas the 12 gallon version has 42!
The light colors look great and if your tank is close to your bed or favorite chair, it’s going to be the ideal lighting to read a book from. It’s strong enough to illuminate your tank clearly and let you see your betta.
However, it’s lack of brightness is its weakness. If you’re looking for a planted tank then the 21 LED lights may not be enough for all types of plants. However, you can upgrade the lights buy adding the 42 light version from the 12 gallon tank instead!
Another small downside is that you can’t have the lights facing down in the tank whilst you’re working on it. So you’ll have to have another light on to make sure you can see what you’re doing.
Amazon Customer Reviews
It’s always good to get other peoples opinions. It’s been rated just under 4 stars by over 350 people so you know it’s a reliable tank! Here are some of the things people were saying.
- “Amazing craft/quality from fluval and a great small tank for the entry level hobbyist”
- “It is unlike any other tank I have seen and I would recommend it in a heartbeat.”
- “Awesome-est aquarium ever. A little more work to maintain but, a lot more appealing to the senses and aesthetics.”
- “I’ve had this tank for several months now, it’s the third I’ve owned, and by far my favorite”
- “The best tank I have EVER had!!! Super quiet and beautiful!!!!”
As you can see a lot of people weren’t just happy with their fluval edge. They absolutely loved it!
Pros And Cons?
A Fluval Edge 6 Gallon Review wouldn’t be complete without listing the pros and cons so you can make the most informed decision possible. While this is an AMAZING tank and it definitely has a lot of benefits, there are also some disadvantages you should take into consideration before purchasing it.
Here are some of the best attributes this tank has, and what really separates it from other tanks.
- You won’t find another tank this size on the market that looks so amazing. Not only is it going to be a conversation starter in your home, but you’re going to love it as well. The way this tank is designed will make you want to look in from every possible angle.
- If you’re short on space then this aquarium is going to be a perfect size. It’s smaller than standard aquariums, but it’s still going to give your betta more than enough room to swim around happily.
- The filter that comes with this tank is also amazing. It’s extremely quiet and works powerfully to make sure that your water is looking and clean and more importantly that it’s bacteria, parasite, and fungus free!
- There’s also room in the filter to allow for more media cartridges.
- And lastly, the lights come in a night time mode which is blue and a daytime mode where they’re white. So you can look at your betta all the time without worrying about affecting his circadian rhythm
While the Fluval Edge 6 Gallon is a great tank there are definitely things that can be improved upon. And maybe in newer models, this will be the case. However here are a few of the problems with this tank.
- If you wanted your betta to be in a planted tank then it may be worth considering upgrading to the 42 LED light system, instead of the 21 light system that comes with it.
- The opening of the tank is smaller than normal, so maintenance and cleaning will require a little bit more work.
- The filter is going to be noisy at first but after a few days, it will become almost silent.
- While this tank is going to last you for many years it’s also a bit more expensive. However, the cost is a small price to pay given the amount of joy this tank will bring you.
Bettas And Breathing
One thing you may realize about this tank is that there doesn’t appear to be anywhere your betta can breathe from. If you don’t know already, bettas have a labyrinth organ which means that they need to breath from the surface of the tank. Fortunately, there are ways to fix this issue. First of all, you can just fill your tank with less water. This will allow a gap between the water and the top where your betta can breathe from.
Or you can watch your betta to see if he finds where the hole for air is on his own. There is a gap at the top of the tank for air to get in and oxygenate your tank, and your betta will probably be smart enough to find it on his own.
Now that you’ve read the Fluval Edge 6 Gallon Review in full you should have a good idea on whether it seems like it’s going to be the tank for you.
This tank is ideal for anyone who is:
- New to the hobby and wants an aquarium that’s more unique
- More experienced owners who want to move their betta to a fresh tank
If you plan on just housing a betta on its own with some plants then it’s a great aquarium, and one your betta will be extremely happy in.
While there are some downsides to this tank, they are far outweighed by all the benefits you’re going to get from it.
Subscribe & Get Your Free E-Book!
Subscribe below and not only will you be up to date on everything betta, but you’ll also receive a free eBook. The eBook “How To Build An Aquarium Bonsai Tree” will teach you step by step how you can make an underwater bonsai tree and turn your tank into an underwater garden!
What are you waiting for!