If you’re looking for a sleek tank to house your betta in then you may have found it. If you choose the Fluval spec 5 gallon then you’re getting a great home for your betta, as well as a sleek looking tank for any room. Keep reading this Fluval Spec 5 Gallon Review to find out more.
Fluval Spec 5 Gallon Review For Bettas
In this review, you’re going to find out about each piece of equipment that comes with the Fluval Spec 5 Gallon, as well as the pros and cons of the tank itself. Remember, you’re not just going to be getting the tank, but also some additional equipment that your tank needs. But, first of all, you should know what you’re going to get when you buy this tank.
What Comes In The Fluval Spec 5 Gallon Aquarium Kit
You may think that when you’re buying an aquarium you’re just going to get the tank. And in some cases, that’s true. But here’s everything that’s included with your purchase.
- A tank and lid
- LED Lights (which come with a day and night mode)
- 3 Stage Filtration System
- Activated carbon insert
- Biomax insert
- Power cords for the light and pump.
As you can see with this aquarium you’re well on your way to set up your own tank. But remember, in addition to what’s being offered in this kit you’re also going to need to buy a heater as well as the substrate. And for best results, you should also buy some plants either silk or live.
The biggest feature of any aquarium kit and the most important consideration is the tank. Every other piece of equipment you can replace. But the tank is what’s going to house your fish, and what’s going to stand out in your house.
And the Fluval spec 5 is a great tank! One of the best parts of this tank is the built-in filter compartment. It makes the whole tank look super clean and stops the filter and heater distracting you from your beautiful betta!
It also offers a lot more horizontal swim space than other tanks. You may have noticed that your betta swims from side to side more than he does up and down. A lot of 5-gallon tanks limit how far your betta can swim. But this tank definitely doesn’t! Because it has less depth it has a whole lot more length, meaning your betta will naturally enjoy swimming more! In fact, you’ll be hard pressed to find a 5-gallon tank with as much horizontal swim space as the Fluval Spec 5!
The only downside of this tank is the fact that water evaporates from it quite quickly. It only has a partially covered lid, so you’ll have to top your tank off every once in a while with conditioned water.
- 5 gallon nano aquarium
- Etched-glass tank with aluminum trim
- Powerful 37 LED Lighting System
- Includes foam block, activated carbon and BioMax bio rings
- Size: 17.2 x 10.6 x 6.3 Inch
This tank is 17.2″x 6.3″ x 10.6″ wide (L x H x W). As you can guess this tank is going to be able to fit into places a lot of other tanks wouldn’t be able too!
Next up and another fantastic feature is the lights. Not only do they come in standard white, but they also come in nighttime blue as well. Which means that you can see your betta at night as well without ruining their circadian rhythm! (Believe it or not, bettas need to separate daytime from night time too.)
The lights that come with this tank look sleek and arch over your aquarium. This illuminates the tank, giving light to your plants and allowing you to see your betta swimming crystal clear. And the nighttime glow looks beautiful too. However, be warned if you put it on you won’t be able to watch your betta for long without falling asleep!
The only downside to the lights is the fact you can’t lift them up. Instead, you have to take them off the tank altogether. In most cases, this isn’t a problem because you can do what you need to do through the small opening in the lid. However, when it comes to a water change or when you’re cleaning your tank then you will have to remove the lid completely.
And the last part of this aquarium kit is the filter. In most aquarium kits you’ll often find that the filter is usually lacking. Like they’ve just packed it in because other aquarium kits do. But you definitely won’t feel like that with this filter. It comes with an extremely powerful pump that you can adjust to suit your needs (which in the case of a betta is relatively low flow).
The filter on this tank is also incredibly quiet. It’s so quiet people often wonder if it’s actually on because they can’t hear it. It’s only when they see the surface of the water moving, that they know their filter is working correctly.
The one and only flaw with this filtration system is that if your betta is a weak swimmer then it may be too strong for him. However, this can be easily remedied. All you have to do is add a Fluval Edge Pre Filter Sponge, which is only a few dollars. However, it’s going to make a world of difference to your betta!
While this may not be necessary for a Fluval Spec 5 Gallon review, it is also worth mentioning that Fluval has amazing customer service. If anything goes wrong you can rest assured that they will help you out as best they can.
One of my pet peeves is waiting a long time for customer service to get back to me, and I imagine you hate it as well. Fluval are extremely efficient and will do whatever they can to sort your problem out.
It’s not uncommon for Fluval to sort out your problem as soon as you can show them proof of purchase. Once they know you’ve purchased a defective item, a lot of the time they’ll send you a brand new one before you’ve even returned yours!
So it’s always nice to know that if something goes wrong with your tank, you don’t have to worry about whether you’ll be able to get a replacement easily or not!
Amazon Customer Reviews
Sometimes, it’s good to know what other people think about a tank before you buy it. And the Fluval Spec 5 has great reviews. It’s been given a 5-star rating by over 200 people!
Some of the comments they left were:
- “I’ve had it for almost a year now and I Love my tank, looks and performs great.”
- “I started keeping fish 40 years ago and this is the easiest tank ever.”
- “These are the only nano tanks I will use now. Having the filtration system built in is perfect for my needs. My bettas love these tanks. “
- “I have two of these, they’re real gems, and new versions keep coming out with improved lighting. The all-in-one system is the way to go for a nano tank.”
What To Watch Out For
One of the main things that knock this tank down to 4 stars is the fact water evaporates from it relatively quickly. This is because of the open tank lid combined with the powerful LED lights.
But there are a few reasons you shouldn’t let this bother you.
First of all, every open-topped tank will suffer from the same problem. Which means there are A LOT of tanks on the market with this problem.
And secondly, the time it takes for the water to evaporate too much is roughly the same amount of time you should be performing a water change anyway. So if anything, the evaporation is doing you a favor. You’ll have less work to do when it comes to cleaning your tank and replacing your water!
And lastly, if you’re worried about the water in this tank not being pumped around properly, then you don’t have too! Fluval, have included a filter inlet hole further down, so unless your water gets dangerously low it’s always going to be pumped around. While it won’t be cleaned as well, it will still keep the water moving.
Pros And Cons
This is a great tank with many pros. However, it doesn’t mean it’s perfect. Before purchasing this tank it’s important to know if you’re going to be happy with it.
- The tank has a sleek design that allows you to hide the filter and heater in a secret compartment. This is going to make the whole tank look tidier.
- You’ll have a hard time finding a tank that has a better shape. Not only does the shape allow you to put it in areas, no other tank would fit, but the horizontal swim space is going to make your betta extremely happy.
- Your LED lights are going to come with a nighttime mode and light time mode. You’ll be able to watch your betta at any time of day, without worrying about affecting his circadian rhythm.
- Unlike other tanks, if you’re not happy with some of the equipment it’s easily changeable and upgradeable.
- A powerful filter is going to keep the water in your tank crystal clear. So your betta will be happy, and you’ll be able to see him.
- Fluval has amazing customer service. If anything goes wrong with your tank it’s more than likely that you’ll get a speedy reply and the issue will be fixed right away.
- The biggest downside to this tank is the filter that comes with it. If you don’t spend the extra couple of dollars on the Fluval Edge Pre Filter Sponge then your betta is going to have a hard time swimming.
- Another feature that could be improved is the lighting system. Instead of being able to lift it up you have to take it off to get to your tank. It’s a small issue but one they should think about changing in the future.
- And lastly, remember open top tanks evaporate quicker. While this is on the cons, it can be a positive thing if you’re changing the water once a week, like you should be anyway!
Should You Buy The Fluval Spec 5 Gallon?
Now, this Fluval spec 5-gallon review is coming to an end you should have a good idea about whether it’s worth buying. At the end of the day, it’s completely up to you! I love this tank and I’m very happy with it, but if you feel like it doesn’t suit your needs then you should consider something else.
This tank is ideal for anyone who is:
- New to owning betta fish and wants a great beginner starter tank.
- A more experienced owner who is looking for a tank to house another betta fish.
- A betta owner who wants to move their betta to a new tank.
And lastly remember, when you buy this tank it’s going to bring you years of happiness. It’s from a reputable seller and it’s unique shape makes it a fantastic tank for starters and more advanced betta keepers alike!
For more articles about recommended fish tanks check out:
- The 4 Best 10 Gallon Tanks – Once you get a 10-gallon fish tank you open up a whole new realm of possibilities. A lot of people think you need to house bettas alone but this isn’t true. If you wanted to own Platies, African Dwarf Frogs, mollies and a whole range of other fish then a 10-gallon tank is a great starting point!
- Four 20 Gallon Fish Tank Suggestions – 20-gallon tanks offer you even MORE choices. At 20 gallons you’ll easily be able to stock tetras, which like large roaming spaces, as well as any other similar fish! If you’re looking to take the next big step then here are the four best 20 gallon tanks on the market.
- Marineland Portrait Aquarium Review – The Marineland Portrait Aquarium is another great 5-gallon aquarium but the complete opposite of the Fluval Spec! Instead of having length it has a lot of height. This means you can put it in places you wouldn’t be able to add other fish tanks! However, all the while you’re still giving your betta enough room to live comfortably in!
2 thoughts on “Fluval Spec 5 Gallon Review For Bettas”
I just added the pre-filter sponge but it seems like now there’s no flow at all. Should I raise the pump output now that I have the pre-filter sponge on? Right now it’s on the lowest setting. Thank you.
Hi Erin, raising the pump output should fix the problem.
Comments are closed.